And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
Luke 2: 7
Make a twine ornament (pictured below) using the instructions that follow. As you wrap your twine around and around, think about Mary wrapping her baby in bands of cloth. As you hold the simple twine or hang your ornament on a tree, think about the humility of Jesus’ birth.
Pick up a kit for this craft with the Advent Devotional Guides at GBC, or gather the needed items from your home or the store.
Twine Ball Ornament
You will need:
- White school glue
- Small bowl
- Paper to cover your workspace
- 1 kit from GBC or the kit’s contents
- Glitter (optional)
- (2) 6 inch lengths of twine
- bundle of twine
- water balloons (1 is a back up)
- Cover working area with paper.
- Inflate balloon to a desired small round shape.
- In a small bowl, combine equal parts white school glue and water.
- Tie 1 of the smaller lengths of twine around the neck of the balloon.
- Unwind large bundle of twine and dip completely into glue/water mixture.
- Begin winding glue covered twine around balloon, completing a ball shape, crisscrossing the twine in different directions.
- If you have glitter and would like to cover this ornament, do so now.
- Hang balloon to dry by the string around the neck, for at least 24 hours.
- After twine is fully hardened, pop balloon and remove.
- Tie 2nd of the smaller lengths of twine through the ornament so you can hang on your tree!